The Culinary Chef Faculty will be responsible for leading lecture and hands-on culinary classes in conformity with lesson plans and current curriculum. This is a 12-month teaching faculty position located in Bethlehem, PA.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
• Demonstrate techniques, conduct in-classroom demonstrations and deliver clear concise and organized lectures as required by curriculum.
• Prepare daily instructional lesson plans based upon agreed upon curriculum and instruct in a manner consistent with the philosophy, policies, and guidelines of the department.
• Collaborate with colleagues, to prepare, review, and revise course guides, syllabus, and appropriate curriculum materials for courses offered at the college, and any other educational materials required.
• Contribute to the overall operation of the college, honor college policies and procedures, and to support the mission of the college, by acting as ambassadors of the college on and off campus.
• Assess student performance through observation and interaction, along with written and practical examinations.
• Assess the learning outcomes listed in the course outline or syllabus of the class.
• Maintain a positive, focused learning environment during class.
• Assure that classes are conducted in a manner that complies with principles of food safety and sanitation.
• Maintain accurate records of student attendance and performance.
• Attends meetings and faculty orientation as required. All faculty members are responsible to advise students on academics, to provide professional advice for students pursuing careers in the food service industry, maintain office hours (outside of class time), and to assist students who have difficulty with studies.
• Enforce sanitation principles (appropriate to particular teaching assignment), attendance policies, Professionalism, Uniform, and other department policies.
• Assume responsibility for equipment and facilities of the kitchen, dining room, or classrooms.
• Stay abreast of new developments in the food service and hospitality industries.
• Contribute to the growth of the college by serving on committees or task forces, assisting with visitors, recommending students and potential employees, and displaying hospitality.
• Develop menus and planning document for on and off campus events as required.
• Perform duties common to all Northampton Community College employees and other duties as assigned.
(1) Education: Associate’s degree in culinary arts field from an accredited institution required. Bachelor’s degree preferred. (2) Skills, Knowledge, Abilities: Must be ServSafe certified and maintain current certification; ACF Certified Chef Certification or be able to obtain required certification within three years of hire date; High level of proficiency in a variety of culinary techniques and culinary cuisines from across the nation/globe. Experience in fine dining preferred.; Flexible schedule (weekends and evenings) to accommodate class schedules and occasional events; Excellent communication skills both written and verbal; strong presentation and interpersonal skills; Demonstrate strong customer service skills with all internal and external stakeholders of the college. Ability to work independently or in a team environment, and maintain collaborative relationships with all members of faculty and administration and maintain professionalism at all times; Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills required; Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and NCC classrooms software with a willingness to introduce new technologies in the classroom; Proven track record showing a steady progression of skill level, increased levels of responsibility, and personal career oriented professional development chef and/or instructor in culinary education; Ability to use sound judgment and discretion in handling sensitive student issues with confidentiality and discretion; Must possess a strong sense of urgency, moderate to strong organizational skills, and attention to detail. (3) Experience: Minimum of seven (7) years post-graduate culinary experience with at least three years in a supervisory or executive chef role.
• Must have the ability to lift fifty (50) pounds on a frequent basis.
• Must be able to stand for extended periods of time in a typical kitchen environment
• Must be able to perform hands on demonstrations of culinary techniques and correct use of equipment.
• Must have the ability to work various shifts including beginning at 7 AM and those ending at 10:00 PM.
• Must have the ability to be exposed to common cleaning agents and chemicals associated with food safety and kitchen sanitation.
About Northampton Community College
Since its establishment in 1967, Northampton Community College is where Lehigh Valley residents turn to earn a degree, access workforce training, learn new leisure activities, and bring their children for enrichment.
Today, NCC serves more than 35,000 students a year in credit and non-credit programs, and is strategically positioned to provide students with the education that they need in order to enter the workforce or to continue their studies. NCC grants degrees, certificates and diplomas in more than 100 fields, is one of the largest employers in the Lehigh Valley, and is the only community college in Pennsylvania to offer on-campus housing. With three campuses, NCC also enjoys a student body that is diverse in terms of age, ethnicity, income, and academic interest.