THE EXECUTIVE CHEF/CULINARY DIRECTOR OPPORTUNITY AT EDGAR’S HOSPITALITY GROUP
Edgar’s Hospitality Group, located in Augusta, Georgia, is looking for an experienced executive chef/culinary director to lead the culinary operations of six hospitality venues including two upscale restaurants, two conference centers, a cafe and a private city club, along with several new enterprises under development. These hospitality enterprises are also the applied learning venues for the Helms College School of Hospitality.
The executive chef/culinary director (EC/CD) is the driving force and culinary innovator behind the creation of a world-class guest culinary experience and student hands-on learning program; with a relentless focus on quality, creativity, and consistent execution for seven unique menus. The EC/CD is ultimately accountable for leading a process that begins with using seasonal ingredients to build flavorful and award-winning dishes while providing the culinary team with hands-on leadership and guidance to deliver exceptional cuisine and hospitality. Additionally, he or she is responsible for programming and executing applied learning processes to build knowledge and proficiencies in Helms College culinary students.
This is a unique and exciting opportunity for the successful candidate to have a profound impact on the lives and futures of hundreds of students and future culinarians as well as EHG staff members, guests, and club members, and to contribute to the vision of “better jobs, stronger families and dynamic communities” while embodying the core values of service, ownership, accountability and respect.
• The EC/CD is responsible for the leadership of the culinary program for Edgar’s Hospitality Group (EHG) operations ensuring balanced support to all operations, with a focus and commitment to scratch-made, locally sourced, innovative menus.
• This role is an active working chef at Edgar’s Grille as well as leading chefs at other locations to create award-winning menus for restaurants, banquets and catered events.
• The EC/CD develops and monitors systems and processes for managing cost of goods and kitchen labor for all locations. He or she makes food purchase specifications and writes recipes as well as maintains the highest professional food quality and sanitation standards.
The executive chef/culinary director at Edgar’s Hospitality Group:
• Embodies and demonstrates the core values of service, ownership, accountability and respect.
• Provides culinary leadership, food and occupational safety, and sustainability for EHG.
• Works closely with the location supervisors to ensure they have necessary culinary support.
• Serves as the primary culinary subject matter expert and communicates and educates the EHG team on the latest trends.
• Provides culinary support of key events and new business openings, new concept development, and renovations as assigned by the senior vice president of EHG.
• Is responsible for establishing and maintaining high standards of food quality and consistency.
• Oversees all menu development; using market research to develop new products. He or she makes changes that respond to the marketplace and to guests’ and members’ needs; both present and anticipated.
• Teaches, trains, and holds teams accountable to recipes, specifications, and processes to ensure quality, consistency and efficiencies.
• Ensures that all food and products are consistently prepared and served according to the restaurants’ recipes, portioning, cooking and serving standards.
• Is a hands-on leader ensuring guest service standards are met and operations run efficiently.
• Is responsible for food purchasing and the establishment and management of food and labor cost P/L controls to ensure a profitable operation.
• Participates in annual business planning and budgeting for the hospitality department.
• Creates a positive, vibrant learning environment for employees and Helms College culinary students.
• Is responsible for the selection, training and development of personnel within the department.
• Works closely with Helms College Culinary Arts Department and faculty in meeting students’ required knowledge, competencies, and course objectives as well as developing and sustaining product cross utilization between EHG and Helms College.
• Manages the core menu accurately through the appropriate tools and training using standardized recipes, images, build diagrams, line checks and prep sheets with pars. On a timely basis he or she updates inventory, prep sheets, line books, and all other required resources.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced executive chef with a minimum of five years’ progressive experience at club, hotel and/or restaurants that are known for high-level, quality food and beverage programs and exemplary service.
Additionally, EHG’s EC/CD should possess:
• An unimpeachable character with the ability to build and sustain a team spirit and high morale across all venues.
• In-depth skills and knowledge of all kitchen operations including knowledge of and experience in classic French cooking as well as a focus on global cuisine, culinary trends and new techniques. He or she must possess expert knowledge of various cooking methods, preparation of soups, sauces, and stocks; butchering; product identification; food purchasing functions; garde manger; pastry and baking; and has the ability to perform all functions of the cooks, leading and training by example.
• Proven leadership skills to achieve goals while maintaining a high expectation of standards of quality and presentation.
• Thorough knowledge of safe food handling and preparation techniques.
• A guest service attitude with the ability to instill that culture in all employees, leading by example. He or she must have a true desire to proactively exceed guest expectations in a fast-paced customer service environment.
• A verifiable history of consistently driving financial results to meet or exceed budget targets. He or she must have strong inventory and cost control skills and experience.
• High volume, fine dining as well as upscale casual dining, banquet and catering experience.
• Strong leadership, communication and relationship building skills. The EC/CD is the face of culinary operations and needs to be comfortable conversing and interacting in both kitchens and dining rooms as he or she interfaces with multiple and diverse constituencies (guests, members, staff, students, vendors, press, etc.). The EC is visible and approachable and welcomes feedback.
• The capability of producing a consistent product in a timely manner.
• A successful track record and passion for developing training processes, mentoring students and staff, and positively supporting and leading teams.
• Strong administrative and organizational skills, with the ability to meet tight deadlines and manage multiple food outlets simultaneously.
• Solid computer skills including but not limited to Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel as well as POS systems. This position also requires technical skills to effectively manage multiple restaurants in multiple locations.
• Experience managing greenhouse and chef’s garden/farm operations.
• Knowledge of hydroponics and other greenhouse growing systems.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
The successful candidate:
• Has a Culinary Arts degree from an accredited school and/or is a graduate from an accredited apprenticeship program. A bachelor’s degree is preferred for Helms College accreditation.
• Has a minimum of five years’ prior culinary management experience at luxury resorts, hotels, restaurants and/or clubs. Experience at Michelin-starred or James Beard awarded restaurants is highly preferred as well as a Ritz-Carlton and/or Four Seasons background.
• Must be certified in food safety.
• Has teaching experience at an accredited culinary program or school. Teaching certifications such as the Certified Hospitality Educator (CHE) through the American Hotel & Lodging Educational Institute or Certified Culinary Educator (CCE) through the American Culinary Federation are preferred.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information about the club, the position and instructions on how to apply, visit this page:
KK&W is the leading recruiting and consulting firm in the private club sector and voted “Best Search Firm of the Year” every year since 2006 by The Boardroom magazine. We continue to lead the industry in the placement of executive chef, GM/COO, AGM/clubhouse manager, director of food and beverage, executive chef, director of golf/head golf professional, golf course superintendent/director of agronomy, director of tennis/director of racquets, fitness & wellness director, chief financial officer/controller, membership director and marketing directors for private, resort and developer owned properties, clubs and communities as well as senior living communities and property owners associations.
We are the leaders in executive placement by providing our clients with exceptional candidates who are ethical, competent and capable. The KK&W team possess more than 400 years of combined experience managing all areas of the club world. Our experience and expertise have provided us with a proven track record of placing candidates who possess integrity, competence, and compatibility with a club’s culture and environment.