THE EXECUTIVE CHEF OPPORTUNITY AT BRAE BURN COUNTRY CLUB
Brae Burn Country Club, a prestigious, family focused club located in Purchase, New York, is searching for a hands-on executive chef to grow, elevate and lead its active culinary program. The club embodies the concept of “family” with a very social and inclusive membership and a collaborative, professional and supportive team. Successful candidates have experience positively leading active a la carte dining programs as well as large banquet events simultaneously. If you have a track record of leading high quality, creative and consistent operations, as well as a passion for hospitality and “creating a home away from home for members and guests,” look no further than the executive chef opportunity at Brae Burn Country Club.
• The executive chef (EC) at Brae Burn Country Club is responsible for all food production including a la carte, banquets and other outlets. He or she develops menus, food purchase specifications and recipes; trains, mentors and supervises production staff; monitors and manages food and labor costs for the department; and maintains the highest professional food quality and sanitation standards.
• The EC leads, manages, motivates and directs kitchen staff to achieve the objectives set by the General Manager, Assistant General Manager, and EC. The EC creates the standards for kitchen policies and procedures, communicates these policies, and ensures that the policies are adhered to by all BOH staff.
• The EC is responsible for ensuring that all food is consistently outstanding – from traditional Brae Burn Country Club favorites to innovative offerings and special events throughout all dining venues. The EC understands that quality and consistency in producing and delivering the Brae Burn Burger is just as important to the member experience as producing a five-course wine dinner and other memorable special events. The EC is responsible to ensure that the culinary team takes pride in the meals that they produce and approaches each item on the plate with equal focus.
• The EC creates and updates menus often, incorporates daily specials, and develops and documents recipes and controls to ensure consistency. Creativity and innovation, not just variety, is essential in planning menus and events for the members of Brae Burn Country Club. Creativity in presentation is also important – plate presentation as well as how food is presented on buffets.
• The EC stays current on all culinary trends and is well-versed in accommodating a wide variety of food allergies and intolerances. The EC incorporates gluten-free items on the menu and trains all staff in the proper handling of gluten-free dishes and requests.
• The EC is the face of culinary operations and needs to be comfortable conversing and interacting in both the kitchen and dining rooms as he or she interfaces with multiple and diverse constituencies (members, staff, vendors, etc.) throughout the day. The EC is visible and approachable.
• The EC is responsive to club member and team member requests and strives to find creative ways to accommodate reasonable requests. He or she believes in the service philosophy: “the answer is ‘yes,’ what is the question?”
• The EC leads the BOH initiative relative to accident prevention, training and retention of staff, and sanitation and safety standards. The EC pays sharp attention to detail, enforces the highest standards of sanitation and safety, and ensures that all BOH staff approach the standards with the same level of focus.
• The EC is a team builder who mentors kitchen staff and develops a pipeline of talented and creative individuals by building on its reputation as an excellent learning and training ground for up and coming culinarians. The EC treats all staff with respect and, in return, requires that of the team. The EC works to ensure that a positive working atmosphere is maintained throughout all F&B operations.
• The EC has a proven track record of controlling food and labor costs. He or she is adept at creating and managing a budget and provides food purchase specifications to control food quality and costs.
• The EC is responsible for leading the product knowledge training for FOH personnel through daily pre-meal meetings and special food knowledge training programs.
• The EC works as a strategic and operational partner with the managers, staff, and House Committee of Brae Burn Country Club to develop information sharing, good communication, superior internal and external customer relationships and high performance teamwork in order to achieve club objectives.
• The EC is someone who looks at mistakes as opportunities for improvement, and instills this mindset and outcome into his/her team, while at the same time epitomizing the perspective of being readily open and embracing of input—The EC is approachable by both members and staff.
• The EC is responsible for providing quality and healthy employee “family” meals for up to 180 team members.
• Ultimately, the executive chef of Brae Burn Country Club is an important and positive face of culinary operations. He or she is an integral part of the overall success of the operation and is a strong influencer on each constituency he or she interfaces with while performing his or her duties. The responsibility to lead this facet of the organization from a passionate, creative, supportive, progressive and team-focused perspective is of critical importance for long-term success.
The successful candidate:
• Is an effective and passionate, hands-on leader and culinary professional with a proven track record of providing high-level services with a personality that is commensurately appropriate to Brae Burn Country Club. Experience in a predominantly Jewish private club is desirable.
• Has successfully led dynamic culinary operations. Additionally, those with a proclivity for healthy, seasonally driven menus will be favored.
• Has exceptionally strong culinary credentials, and most importantly, the ability to consistently define and achieve goals and objectives. This includes proven and verifiable leadership qualities with a demonstrated ability to direct, coordinate and control all facets of an active food and beverage operation. The EC has verifiable strengths in inspirational leadership, financial performance, and people skills.
• Is a confident, proactive team builder who has a history of attracting, developing and retaining high performing staff.
• Has solid computer skills including but not limited to Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel. This position also requires technical skills to effectively manage multiple restaurants in multiple locations. Experience with Jonas Encore POS software is a plus.
• Takes tremendous pride in making members happy and exceeding their expectations.
• Possesses strong written and oral communications skills.
• Is organized as well as flexible. He or she can proactively lead a la carte and banquet operations simultaneously and is also able to execute pop-up member events successfully. The number of covers fluctuates depending on the night and event so the executive chef must be flexible, organized and a good planner.
EDUCATIONAL AND CERTIFICATION QUALIFICATIONS
The successful candidate:
• Has a Culinary Arts degree from an accredited school or apprenticeship program or equivalent experience.
• Has a minimum of five years’ prior management experience as an executive chef and at least eight years of diversified kitchen and hospitality industry experience including banquet and a la carte operations. Executive sous chefs with successful track record at larger F&B programs and that are ready for their first executive chef opportunity may be considered.
• Must be certified in food safety.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information about the club, the position and instructions on how to apply, visit this page:
KK&W is the leading recruiting and consulting firm in the private club sector and voted “Best Search Firm of the Year” every year since 2006 by The Boardroom magazine. We continue to lead the industry in the placement of executive chef, GM/COO, AGM/clubhouse manager, director of food and beverage, executive chef, director of golf/head golf professional, golf course superintendent/director of agronomy, director of tennis/director of racquets, fitness & wellness director, chief financial officer/controller, membership director and marketing directors for private, resort and developer owned properties, clubs and communities as well as senior living communities and property owners associations.
We are the leaders in executive placement by providing our clients with exceptional candidates who are ethical, competent and capable. The KK&W team possess more than 400 years of combined experience managing all areas of the club world. Our experience and expertise have provided us with a proven track record of placing candidates who possess integrity, competence, and compatibility with a club’s culture and environment.